We are currently accepting applications for the summer 2023 Day Camp season for SENIOR COUNSELORS and LIFEGUARDS.
Click HERE to submit an application.
For Counselor positions, you will be contacted in the Spring with interview details.
- Interviews for Junior Counselor positions have ended for the 2023 season. Applications will open in January of 2024 for next summer.
- Interviews for Senior Counselor and Lifeguard positions begin mid May. If you have applied online, please contact the main office to schedule your interview.
Office Staff positions begin Pre-season.
- Interviews for Office Staff begin in late February.
- Senior Counselors (17+)
- Specialty Camp Counselors (17+)
- Junior Counselors (16 yrs old or going into Junior year)
- Lifeguards (16+)
- AM Care staff (16+)
- PM Care staff (16+)
- Camp Office Staff (16+)
- Maintenance (17+) contact Justin Hubeny at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire
Making a difference in the lives of children can make a big difference in your life.
If you’ve got what it takes to lead a group of children through games, crafts, and special activities, then we have the job for you. Our staff love an active outdoor schedule, working with different age groups and other counselors. They take pride in helping children grow and develop spiritually, mentally and physically. You can bring your own special talent, whether it’s swimming, riding, archery, sports or dancing. You’ll need a desire to teach others and the energy and attention to detail necessary to make a busy camp schedule work. You’ll work with some of the most dedicated and creative people on the planet and the friendships you’ll make with the counselors and camp leaders will last a lifetime.
Here’s what we expect from our top counselors:
· Our best staff make a difference in the lives of their campers, creating a unique relationship with each camper. They get to know each new group of campers quickly, ensuring each camper’s growth, safety and development during camp.
· Participate 100%, 100% of the time. There isn’t a lot of down time at camp. As a staff member you are always on stage, helping campers, being an example, teaching and playing games. It’s up to you to make sure everyone has a good time. You’ll make the games interesting by joining in and knowing that the sidelines are no place for a great staff member.
· Making it happen. Our campers have a full schedule of activities throughout the long summer days, and you’re on top of it, planning to make sure the campers are where they need to be and enjoying themselves. When things change such as the weather or the mood of your campers, you’re always one step ahead with creative ideas for alternative activities.
· The team is tops. You have the opportunity to work with great children, great counselors, and a staff that is dedicated to the camp’s success. You will be an integral part of one of the best day camp staff teams in the country and you can take pride in the fact that you are a YMCA Camp Sloper Staff Member.
· It’s your camp. You feel like you own it- every activity and every camper. The reason campers will love and remember you is because you modeled the camp’s values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. You were the one each camper looked up to during camp.
· Calm, cool and collected - even when you’re not by the pond. During hot summer days, through hectic schedules, and with all those campers and responsibilities, you keep your cool and pay close attention to how your campers are managing the stress of different activities, weather, meeting new people, and the unique environmental conditions of camp. You know the one thing that matters most is the campers’ safety spiritually, mentally, and physically.
If you’re up to the challenge, want to lead instead of follow, and really want to make a difference in the lives of dozens of children this year, we’ll help you succeed. It’s exhilarating, exhausting, and challenging, but the rewards are out of this world. Campers and staff members will remember you forever! Years later, the lessons you taught them at camp will stick with them as they send their own children to camp.
During the summer, there are three different shifts: Morning Care, Day Camp, and After Care
Morning Care = 6:30am-9:00am
Day Camp = 8:30am-3:30pm
After Care = 3:00pm-5:30pm
Junior Counselors are 16 years old or going into their Junior Year of High School.
Senior Counselors are 17+ years old
Just click on the "HERE" button above!
Applications for being a camp counselor will be accepted after February 1st.
Junior Counselor Interviews are done is a group setting and will completed in mid to late April. Interview dates are sent out to applicants in March.
Senior Counselor Interviews are done in conjunction with college/high school schedules and are predominantly completed in mid-May. Interview dates are sent out to applicants in March/April.